KVARNER ISLAND RAB - UNIQUE PEARL OF THE NORTHERN ADRIATIC, a European holiday spot for over 120 years
Island Rab:Nature and Heritage
Tourist guide available
Rab - eden in the Adriatic, oasis of love
Many say Croatia is an amazingly beautiful country with a wealth of heritage and stunning landscapes. Croatia's Adriatic coast with the thousand islands is particularly popular among tourists and travellers all over the world due to its acient walled towns and red-roofed villages surrounded by dramatic mountains and azure sea with the stunning beaches.
Island Rab is one of it's most preciouse juwels of such breathtaking treasures, ideal for a unique holiday experience and the best value destination for your holiday any time of the year. That is why many day 'once Rab - always Rab' and return year after year or even settle here.
The island Rab is a part of the Kvarner archipelags region, one of the most popular and prettiest islands on the Adriatic, with the town as beautiful as Dubrovnik and the green woods as on Mljet... After Opatija, this was one of the most popular vacation spots and wellness oasis in the north Adriatic. Already at the 1889, Rab was declared by the austrian local council as the sea bath and spa resort. The british king Edward the VIII and american Lady Wallis Simpson gave a new impetus to Rab tourism on their Medditeraine tour in 1936. Both admired at the cute old medieval town with the four belfries and swum nude thus starting a new epoch of naturism.
Situated in the north, in Kvarner bay, island of Rab is a delightful mixture of old town and beautiful bays, drawing visitors year after year. Rab is a perfect destination for leasure holidays whether you need a short break- away or a proper vacation.
Rab is rich in cultural heritage and full of mediterranean spirit, admired not only for the beauty of the four bell towers, the landmarks of the town Rab but also for the facinating diversity of its natural resources on a very small space; from the moon-like stone desert facing the mainland to the rich oak woods, cristal bays, sandy beaches, fertile valleys and hills... Island Rab has around 2600 suns hours per year and winters also are friendly here with temperatures inbetween 8-10C. Mild winter days with plenty of sun are common, making this a good choice for Christmas/ New Years break or a get-away when you just had enough and want some piece and quiet to recover..
Same named town of Rab is situated on a narrow portion of land creating a special panorama of a sailing ship with 4 beautiful bell towers attracts numerous visitors. The town of Rab is truely a treasure of this island. Numerous Gothic and Renaissance palaces, churches and the belltowers, roman town walls, old streets and a loggia make a special atmosphere re to enjoy. Along with the city of Rab, the island has seven idyllic villages: Barbat, Banjol, Palit, Kampor, Mundanije, Supetarska Draga, and Lopar.
In every one of these little villages you can come across beautiful seaside, beaches and walks and plenty of accommodation facilities such as apartments and rooms.
The island Rab prides itself in rich cultural heritage and cultural-historical monuments. For example, the old town in the city Rab is very well preserved and authentic with the rare preserved romanesque monumental architecture. Some of its cultural and historical monuments are among the very important and beautiful architectual monuments auch as the church and bell tower of St. Maria, the closter and church of St. Andrew, the City lodge and the Palace of Nimira, to name the few.
Today Rab's culture and history is incorporated into its tourism. Island Rab offers everything necessary for a great holiday, it is a tranquille paradise, an excellent choice for a relaxation or recovery holidays and specially beloved during the summer season for the family vacations. Rab's culture, history, nature, and most importantly, people who will make your holiday an unforgettable one. Island has no industry plants, so the nature is protected and the islanders make their living predominately through tourism, trade and traditional crafts. Island populates cca 9000 inhabitants. Main economies are agriculture, fishery, ship building, trade and tourism. With its mild climate, the soft island air, luxurious vegetation, the clear dark blue sea and the hospitality of the inhabitants the island Rab has been a tourist magnet already for 120 years. It's tourist industry won many prizes as the best destination in its tourism past and in present times. Among many prices, Rab recently (2005) received the Silver Award on european competition for town and villages in bloom 'Entente Florale Europe', and EUROPEAN UNION PRIZE FOR CULTURAL HERITAGE / EUROPA NOSTRA AWARDS. Island Rab has also won several domestic awards; Blue Flower and Touristic flower and in 2010 it won two 1st Awards for the best touristic town on the Adriatic under 10.00 inhabitants. In addition to premium tourist destination awards, many workers on the island have also won various awards in their profession. Fot the 2011, Rabis absolute winner and stood as the best destination of the year in Croatia. More about tourism on Rab here.
Rab's cooks and bar-tenders are among the best in Croatia and have also won many international prizes. For the epicures, it gives many tastes from the traditional Rab kitchen based on sea fruits, local vegetables and meat seasoned with aromatic herbs and spice. Very popular is its specialty: the traditional Rab cake.
Rab gets really busy in the summer months of July and August, when high season hits its peak. It is very popular destination for families with children and groups of friends, because of its different and beautiful beaches and safety. Here everyone has a choice: from sand, rocks to pebbles... So Rab can be just the right place for you if you're looking for great summer time, clean sea, lots of variouse beaches to go to and if you love to dive, fish, play tennis or jog... or simply enjoy the crowds. Rab's night life evolves around many caf? ? coctail bars and their terraces or beach parties. You can taste excellent cuisine and fine wines in many excellent restaurants, take pleasure in classical music concerts, exhibitions, Rab Knight's tournament or Medieval Festival or simply walk around centuries old town streets under the notable town bells of Rab.
Rab surely stands for the adriatic destination of excellence including its natural resources, historical heritage, traditional celebrations, local gastronomy, and so on.
An unforgettable experience awaits you and many of the past Rab guests say that it really surprised them and took their breath away. Whether you just want to enjoy the mild Mediterranean climate, ramble through the tranquil island countryside, discover centuries of history and heritage or simply sit back on the beach soaking up the sun, Rab has a warm welcome for you.
ACCOMMODATION ON ISLAND RAB
Island Rab in brief:
Under the Velebit mountain, this is the most southward island in the Kvarner Bay.
Sunny hours per year: 2.600
Winds: in Winter Nordwind - Bura and Southwind - Jugo ( Sirocco), in Summer - Maestral
Average sea temperature from May to September: above 20?
Approximate yearly air- temperature: 16,8?
Average air- temperature in summer: 26?,
High season air-temperature from mid- July to mid- August: 35? C to 43? C
FLORA and FAUNA
As with elsewhere on the Croatian coast, Rab has a wonderfully warm climate, ranking among the sunniest parts of Europe. Its Mediterranean climate allows for lush vegetation of evergreen forests and delicious fruit and herbs – olives, figs, grapes, sage and rosemary grow in wild or in gardens in abundance here. Other typical flora: holm oak, caper, different aromatic herbs...
This island is one of the most forested of the Adriatic islands. Rab has over three hundred water wells that make it an actual botanical garden. The island is famous for its parks, wlaking paths and woods. Its town park "Komrcar" si rich in laurel, poplars, cypress, fig cactus, rosemary, pines, centennial Agaven and nature forest Kalifront with oaks and wild animals.
Various birds, small animals, beetles, butterflies, contractor snakes and small reptillia to various flowers, aromatic herbs, weeds and trees to non native animals such as stags and deers, mouflons. Island has also interesting geological trails open for visitors.
Park Komrcar, town Rab Nature reserve Kalifront
- seaweed, sea lettuces and various sea plants
- a few sorts of sponges, crinoid and corals
- various shells
- crabs: little sea crabs, sea snails, spiny lobster, thursh wrasse, sea spider, scampi
- cephalopod molluscs: cuttlefish, squid, pulp, sea slug, black fish, calamary,
- fishes: golden grey mullet, saddled bream, ballan- wrass, garfish, sea bass, striped mullet, sea bream, brown mearge, gaper, dory, gilted sea bream, hake, common sole, giant goby, european conger, common dentex, red scorpion fish, greater weever, goldlin, John Dory, Rainbow wrasse, gurnard, common star- gazer, atlantic mackerel, spanish mackerel, horse mackerel, pilchard, sprat, smelt, tuna fish, catfish, spotted ray, common eagle ray, smaller samples of blue sharks and more
The island has plenty of different beaches; from shallow sandy bays to shiny rocky shores with crystal clear Sea.
near town and town Rab: concrete plateaus
Palit: small pebble beach and plateuas, rocks, taxi boats for nudist beach Kandalora
Banjol: sand and pebbles with sunbath plateaus
Barbat: pebble beaches
Supetarska Draga: Sand beaches and sunbath plateaus
Lopar: shallow Sandy beaches
Kampor: sandy beaches, sunbath plateaus
Suha Punta; rocks and sunbath plateaus
Beach photographs !
HISTORY - quick overview
The island has had a rich past, having first been heard of under the Illyrians in 360 BC.
Old town Rab ( Felix Arba ) was founded by romans and has the status of the Municipium ( status of a town)
for longer then 2000 years, of which the inhabitants are very proud.
The town is one of the oldest dioseses on this part of the Adriatic, with the bishop seat from 530 AD.
How important the town was speaks the fact that the Pope Alexander III sanctified Rab's Cathedral in 1177
on his return to Rome from Zara ( Zadar).
MAGNIFICAE COMVNITATIS ARBENSIS IN CRISTI NOMINE
During the entire medieval period Rab flourished thank to trade in salts, wines, wood and breeding silkworms. The whole region was quite prosperous due to the old amber routes. Silk was known on Rab earlier in the Wester Europe due to developed trade routes with the east. Town was organised after the roman traditions and had its statutes dating way back to 13 ct. Patron saint of the town and the island is St. Christopher. The legend has it that when the Saint's relic ( guarded in Rab - came as a gift from Constantinopole ) was exposed on the towns walls against enemies, his patronage saved the town and the island from the invasion in 11th century e.g. 09.05.1075. This was described in the "St. Christopher's miracles" written by Bishop Juraj de Hermolais in 13 century.
In 1358. after often switching rulers, Rab came under the rule of the King Ludovic - House of Anjou, who the islanders welcomed as their liberator. In remembrance of the great King it was decided to annually celebrate the 9th of May as the Liberation day. In the reneissance time it was the venetian province and under its stron rule.
The island had a turbulent history with many different rules and systems and went through years of prosperity and some pretty hard times, specially during the Black plague and 2nd ww.
Throughout its turbulent history Rab (or Arba, Arbia or Arbiana - how it was called by the Romans) was governed by different rulers: from Illyrians, ancient Greeks and Romans, Byzantine, Venetian, Hungarians to finally Croatians. Traces of all the influences are inbuilt in the town's architecture: its' walls, churches, portals and palaces. Interesting sites can also be found in the neighbouring villages.
The traces of the history remain all over the island through the architectures, traditions and the people.
The Patron's day - today Rab's Medieval Fest is celebrated each year from 25.07.- 27th July. The event of the day is certainly the Knight's Tournament, a medieval archers' competition.
Myths and Legends / Heritage:
St. Christophers; Patron Sainf of Rab The Legend of St. Marin and San Marino Republic Marco Antonie de Dominis Rab Archers and Medieval Festival
History in brief:
- until 228. BC - Liburnia/ Illiricum, Greece ( Dionisius younger, Dionisius elder)
- II BC Romans seized Rab
- from 3 BC. - 6 century. Roman Empire, Western Roman Empire; Emperor Octavian Augustus gave Rab the title of Municipium; status of the self -governing town )
- 493.- 544. - under the short rule of East Goths ( Kings Dietrich von Bern, Teodorik, Totila)
- 544. year. - 9 cent.. Byzantium, arrival of Slavs,
- 9 - 10 cent.. - croatian princes, Byzantium, croatian King Tomislav
- end of 10.th cent.. - Venice
- beginning of 11 cent.. - 12 century. - Croatian kingdom
- 12 .- 15 century.- often change of rulers; Serenissima, King Coloman, cro-hung. King Bela III - Arpad dynasty, Louis the Great King of Hungary and Poland, Angevin Kings of Naples Ladislas, then cro-hung. King Sigismund - Luxemburg dynasty
- from 1409. to 1797.yr - Serenissima
- 1797. yr. to 1815. - Napoleon, Illyrian province of Italian Kingdom
- 1815. yr.- 1918. yr.- Austro - Hungarian Monarchy
- 1918.-1921. yr. - Italian Kingdom
- 1921. yr. - 1941. yr.. - Kingdom of Yugoslavia
- April 1941. yr.- 1943. yr.. - fascist Italy
- 1944. -1945. yr.. - Dritte Reich
- 1945.- to 1990. yr. - SFR Yugoslavia
- 1991. yr..- Republic Croatia
HISTORIC ? CULTURAL HERITAGE TREASURES ON RAB
Parish church St. Mary;
- Pieta and Baptistery, 15 ct. Petar Trogiranin
- Chorus 1445
- Ciborium 9 ct.
- Jesus Christ relief, Byzant 8 ct.
- Altarpainting Virgin and a Child, 14. ct, Guariento d’Arpo
- Altar painting The Assumptiont, late Venetian baroque (between 1746 and 1756)
- Altar marmor Intarsia with St. Christopher ( 17 ct.)
- St. Christopher reliquiem
- variouse holy artefacts ( crucifixes, censers, cups, ..)
- Stucco von sp?t venezianische Barok; 18 Jh. Clemente i Giacomo Somazzi
- organs by Petar Nekic from 1756, renovated
- an altarpiece of Virgin and Child, 14th century, supposedly by Guariento d’Arpo.
- The church of St. Anthony the Abbot; an altarpiece of St. Joa and Anthony, work of Mateo Ponzoni
- church of St. Andrew next to benedictine closter;
- a renaissance crucifix with a depiction of Lamentation.
- Altarpiece by the Venetian painter A. Novelli from 1765.
- Cretan-Byzantine painting of the Virgin Mary with Christ in her arms 16th century, with silver-golden icon frame made by a Venetian 18ct goldsmith. Copy of the Paolo Veneziano polyptych ( original at Bostom National Museum US).
- The church of St. Justine;
- altarpiece with a depiction of St. Justine and characters from the Battle of Lepanto from the 17th century by a Flemish painter, Baldasare d’Ana.
- King Coloman gift to Rab: enamel cross plates, 12 ct.
- another altarpiece with the depiction of Death of St. Joseph, by the Venetian painters’ workshop 16- 17 ct.
- Virgin with Christ in her arms and the angels, by a Spanish painter Zuano Buschet 16th century.
- sacral collection in period 11-18 ct.
- Church of the Holy Cross;
- Virgin with Christ in her arms and the angels painting, Venetian settecento.
- Stucco on the sealing work of Clemente ? Giacomo Somazzi 18 ct.
- Church of St. Anthony of Padua;
- altarpiece depiction of Virgin with Christ in her arms and the angels by unknown Venetian baroque painter 17ct.
- Portals: Palace Crnota, Palace Nimira, 15 ct works by sculptor Andrija Alessi
Santa Eufemia monastery:
- polyptych, workshop of brothers Antonio and Bartolomeo Vivarini 1458
- tabulatorium - late baroque
- lapidarium with different artefacta ( reliefs, sarcofag of Manda Budrisic ...)
- Icona "Madonna with a Child" -unknown master/ period
- pinacoteca of works by Fra Ambroz Testen ( modern art)
- biblioteca, small ethno museum
- The fountain in the Boscopini park, given to Rab at the end of the 1930s by the ban (governor) Ivan Perovi?. The fountain has six sources of water that symbolise the parishes of the island with a common source in the centre.
- The fountain in St. Christopher’s Square (Trg Sv. Kristofora), a work of the academic sculptor Žarko Violi? from Rijeka (1989), portrays the local legend of the shepherdess Draga and Kalifront from an epic by Juraj Barakovi?.
- The memorial cemetery for the victims of fascism in Kampor from 1953, project by Slovenian architect Edvard Ravnikar (1907-1993). The memorial complex includes a mosaic by Marijo Pregelj from Slovenia.
- The monument to the fallen soldiers of World War II in Boscopini park near hotel Istra is a work by Vinko Matkovi? from 1952. It has been restored in 2003 and joined with the monument to the fallen soldiers and victims of the Homeland war in Croatia by Mladen Š?erbe.
- The bust of Pravdoje Belija (highly esteemed senior forester of Rab, 1853 – 1923) was put up in 1974 in the town’s Komrcar Park. The sculptor is unknown.
- The bronze statue of St. Marino by Daniella Volpini from San Marino (2004) is a gift to Rab from the Republic of San Marino. Location: Dorka park near Hotel Arbiana.
- The bronze monument to Markantonius de Dominis in middle street, work of Kosta Angeli Radovani (academic painter, London, 1916 – Zagreb, 2002) from 1974. The monument is placed in front of Dominis’s house of birth in 1994.
Monuments, historical sights:
- historic town of Rab
- St.Eufemia / Bernardin's Monastery in Kampor
- St.Peter's church, Supetarska Draga
- St.Damiens' church, Barbat
Interestingdetails from Rab's tourism history
Rab is one of the first tourist oasis in the northern Adriatic.
- 23 April 1889. The prof. Leopold Schroeter and prof. Froschauf (Austria) handed the written proposal for the development of tourism to the Rab Municipal Council who accepted it the same year and declared the island tourist destination and health resort. The decision was made on the basis of a pleasant climate and favorable effects on heart disease and respiratory organs.
Shortly after that started the construction of first hotels on the island of Rab. Here quick chronology of Rab hotel openings:
1895 hotel "Bellevue", 1908 "Grand Hotel, 1920 Hotel" Astoria ", 1925 Palace Hotel Praha, 1927 yr., Grand hotel" Imperial, 1928 Adria-today "Istria", 1930 "The Continental" - on the site today
Hotel Padova, 1931 Miramar and Slavija, Bristol 1932 - present Arbiana Hotel Danica 1935. but the beginning of 20 century on the island of Rab and several private pension: Tonsa, Brozovic, Marcic, Praha, Kamensky and Zsolnay .. Interesting is the fact that in 1914 Rab visited 6000 guests and by 1930 ties Rab become one of the most popular holiday places on the Adriatic. Since then (with the exception of war periods) number of turiss on the island is constantly increasing. 1938 the island records 17,172 visitors.
- In 1936 the English king Eduard VIII decided to escape from his state obligations and court intrigues and set sail to Mediterranean with his companion Mrs Simpson. In the Bay Kandarola, hidden from curious eyes, he entered the sea completely naked with Wallis. Although the first beach for nudists had been opened in Rab even two years before the king’s arrival, this moment was soon acknowledged as the beginning of naturism on Rab and a start for broader naturalist and sun-lovers movement.
After the 2 nd World. War it took several years of reconstruction until the tourism recovered. The tourism and hotel company "Imperial" was founded which covered the complete tourist industry on the island until the 1990-ties. Tourism has taken an increasing momentum as elsewhere on the Mediterranean and reached its peak in numbers in the '80-es 20 st.
TOURIST INDUSTRY TODAY
The island of Rab has a variety of accommodation with about 22,500 beds in 17 hotels, two large and 1 smaller camp, two ACY marina, 2 tourist settlements (Suha Punta and San Marino), many pension, couple of rent villas, apartments and rooms in private houses. Most capacities are in private accommodation. On the island are present a dozen of travel agencies, our agency being among the first private agencies after the socialist period, providing services since 1992.
Rab has been rewarded with the titles of tourism champion many times and received other relevant tourism awords; "Champion of tourism", tourist award Blue Flower, Blue Flag for the beaches, the prize ''Entente Florale Europe'' or "Silver Flower of Europe 'as a special award for cleanliness and arrangement of the island, and the preservation of historical core of the city, which is a cultural monument zero category, the European Prize for Cultural Heritage 'EUROPA NOSTRA AWARD'.
RAB SWEEPS THE TOURIST SCENE EVERY YEAR AGAIN. - ABSOLUTE WINNER AS THE BEST CROATIAN DESTINATION IN 2011!
Tourism champion in 2011 with many 1st prizes; Tourist flower- quality for Croatia, Best beach, Best souvenier and Best cultural manifestation.
Some of the famous people who visited island:
- Pope Alexander III, 11 ct..
- Juraj Barakovic, 15/16 ct. croatian poet who composed "Draga, the shepherdess from Rab" during his stay on the island
- Petar Trogiranin, sculptor, 15/16 ct.
- Andrija Alessi, albanian sculptor 15 ct.
- Ivan Kukuljevic Sarcinski 1856. - croatian historian, politician and writer
- Emperor Franz Josef 1875
- Sir Thomas Jackson 1887. - british architect, artist, educator, historian and author
- Mayor of Wiena dr. Lueger 1909
- Prince Alois Liechtenstein 1910 - House Liechtenstein donated a substantial sum for building the promenade in Eufemija bay
- Austrian heir apparent Franz Ferdinand 1911
- 1912 professor G?nter from Graz; Austria
- Prof. F.W.Schleyer who visited the island on several occasions. 1914. he published a book "RAB, TOWN AND ISLAND, PEARL OF NATURE AND ART IN DALMATIA"
- 1924. german legendary film director Friedrich Wilhelm Murnau ( Nosferatu) filmed his movie "Die Finanzen des Großherzogs"/ Grand Duke's Finances on island Rab
- 1936 King Edward VIII and Lady Simpson - who with a municipal consent, enjoyed bathing naked on peninsula Frkanj and are held as founders of the oldest nudist beach on the Adriatic - Kandalora. On the green lay in front of the hotel Imperial a flower sterling sign was planted in their honour.
- Painter Edo Freiherr von Handel- Mazzetti in the twenties
Famous People who recently visited the island:
- Mr Bruno Kreisky, ex- chancellor of Austria
- Sheikh Yamani, former OPEC boss
- Nino Cerutti
- Agnelli family
- Dragutin Tadijanovic, croatian poet
- Slobodan Novak, croatian writer ( "Essences, gold and olibanum" - recommended reading for all literature- lovers, in which is Rab magnificently portrayed. )
- Vladimir Dodig Trokut, modern artist
- Zoran Feri? - contemporary croatian writer
- Dunja Vejzovic - croatian opera songsters
- captain regents of Republic San Marino
- Davor Suker, croatian football player
- Ivana Trump
- Marc Evans, Evans group, with his mega yacht "White rose of Drachs"
Few famous and deserving citizens of Rab ( by being born here, by their work or title):
- carver Marin from Lopar, 3. ct. founder of the Republic od San Marino - the oldest republic, on the Titano mountains
- Ivan Rabljanin ( Magister Johannes Baptista Arbensis de la Tolle) (born 1470, died 1540) was a famous cannon and bell founder in bronze; born in Rab, most of his works are in Dubrovnik. He made cannons for Italy, Spain and Republic of Dubrovnik. In 1506 he made a bell that still hangs to present day in the town's bell tower. His most beautiful cannon was built in 1537 named 'lizzard', on the tower Lovrjenac.
- Bishops: Tizian 530 ct.., Drago 11 ct.., Bishop Juraj de Hermolais 13 st. - author of the "St. Christopher's miracles"
- Petar Zaro - 15 st. donator for the monastery and church in Kampor
- Princess Manda Budrisic, founder of franciscan cloister of St. Anthony 15/ 16 ct..
- Marco Antonius de Dominis - a bishop and professor of physics, also taught at the Oxford University, persecuted by Inquisition
- Matija Pon?un 17 ct.- painter from Rab; some of his paintings can be seen in St. Marc's church and in dominican monastery of St. Nicola on island Korcula
- Dominik Dokula, charity donator 16/ 17 ct.
- Justus ( Pravdoje) Belia, 19/20 ct. - the forester and founder of the town's park Komrcar
- fra Odorik Badurina - 19/20 ct. - franciscan, author of the great Kampor Cronicle
- fra Ambrozije Testen, 20 ct. - franciscan monk and modern painter
- fra V. Brusi? - 20 ct. - author of the book "Island Rab"
- prof. Miljenko Domijan, 20 st. - art and heritage conservationist, author of the monography "Rab - Art town"
Events programme 2011
Villages on the island of Rab
Each village on the island offers a splendid combination of local gastronomy, hospitality and tradition.
Island is composed of the old town Rab and the 7 villages:
Palit - NW 0,5-2 km to town, promenade Banjol- SW, 0,5-5 km, promenade, camping Barbat- SW, 6-8km town, promenade Mundanije- NE, 1-4 km to town, rural Kampor- NW, 3-7 km the town, woods Supetarska Draga- NE, 7-10 kn to town, ACI marina Lopar- NE- 14 km to Rab, camping
Rab Island can be easily visited by car or on foot; south from the town is village Barbat with the remains of the St. Damian fortress, east is the hill Kamenjak where after a short trek on the 400m peak you can enjoy in wonderful panorama view of the Kvarner archipelago. When you walk NW, you'll wander into rich Kalifront wood, where are situated many sheltered and crystal bays. On the way there you'll pass by the Monastery St. Eufemia; an ideal spot for the pause where you can visit a small ethnographic and sacral arts collection.
A special feature of the island is the very old town of Rab with its the numerous Gotik- and renaissance palaces, churches and 4 belfries. The integrity of the city picture in a form of a ship with dominant four belfries attracts numberless visitors. The city radiates with one Mediterranean spirit and is in the summer months the most visited place of the island and a center for all possible interests. In the city, many events are organized; from art exhibitions. music evenings, and other shows to the famous Rab knight games and Medieval festival.
NIGHT LIFE ? ENTERTAINMENT on the Island Rab:Island offers numerous accommodation in private pensions with different options; B?B, just lodging, half board, or self catering in apartments. The advantage of this kind of accommodation in contrast to staying at a hotel or classical tourist villages is the warmth of home atmosphere and getting to know local people. The traditional hospitality will make it easier for you to enter into a typical local family and in no time feel at home.
- caffe- night bars in the old town: Sanda, Le Journal, Forum
- Disco Grand in the port Rab
- Disco in San Marino, Fun centre Marineros
- San Antonio Club - town Rab ? Beach party club SANTOS, Pudarica
OTHER - RAB SUMMER:
- open-air cinema Rab ( subtitles), Rab musical evenings, Paradiso concerts, summer touring theathre and concerts, bras music concerts, Rab Fest - medieval days, folk dancing and a capella singing, Rab Tournament, art exhibitions
Beaches on the island - the photosEXCURSIONS traditional Rab cuisine
From Rab one can also make many interesting short excursions, you'd most likely make at least one of the boat trips such as going fishing, tour by boat around the island with swimming breaks, excursion to island Losinj or Pag... Or you can visit wonderful Plitvice lakes by minibus.
If adventure prompt, head for Paklenica nature park which is also within reach, place is ideal for cliff climbers and trekkers. See more here.
SPORT AND RECREATION
WATER SPORTS - the island of Rab has excellent opportunities for almost all types of water sports.
Sea water sports / swimming, waterpolo are practised from May to end of September, diving, kayaking throughout the year. Windsurfing - particularly favorable weather conditions in the months May and September. Besides sailing, there are opportunities for rental of various motor vehicles, jet ski's, kayaks, pedal boats, water skiing, riding on the rubber, banana, parachute, water slide, etc. ..
RENT A BOAT
TENNIS - The island of Rab has 18 tennis courts where one can also find sparing partner to play, rent rackets or take tennis lessons. Larger tennis grounds are in Lopar - Hotel village San Marino, in Kampor in the area of Suha Punta and Rab Courts next to the Imperial hotel in Banjol private terrain.
BEACH VOLLEYBALL - Rab has excellent conditions for this kind of recreation, especially this highlights a big sandy beach Paradise beach in Lopar (where every year and maintains one of theTournament Championship of Croatia), then a sandy beach in Kampor, etc.
MOUNTAIN BIKING - Cycling - a special experience on the island of Rab is cycling with lots of small roads and trails. Cycle the island enjoying different landscapes; sea coast, the Mediterranean forests, meadows and coastal karst.
TREKKING - Walking
- As well as bike rides, trekking and walking trails provide excellent opportunity to explore the island.
Very popular is a pedestrian paths in Lopar, then Kalifront woods or easy stroll along the coast "Lungo mare" in Banjol and Barbat or Palit, There is also the walking path towards the top of the largest point of the island; hill Kamenjak.
DIVING: The waters and seabed around Rab is very interesting. In the aquatorium there are several sunken ships and a significant number of amphorae found in the area.
Along with basic training and equipment rental, there are diving schools and the overall facilities for successfull diving holidays.
- On the island there is 1 wellness center at the hotel and several private salon for a massage or solarium.
Besides the above in Rab you can try bowling, mini golf and table tennis, waterslide, paintball center, ...
On Rab the conditions for playing football, basketball, handball are favourable. Popular event is the football tournament in Lopar during the Feast of Little Lady. In the last few years on the island of Rab are held motocross and off-road competition. Very popular sports are also martial sports and yoga.
Rab provides opportunities for the preparation of athletes throughout the year due to its climate and natural conditions.
Banks, Cash-points, Post office, Taxi, Taxi boats, Internetcaf?s, Ambulace, Pharmacy, 2 Petrol stations, Automechanic, Autowashing, Parking, Port Rab, ACI Marina Rab (150 Boot anchoring places, mechanic, petrol station, Kran, parking), ACI Marine Supetarska Draga (270 anchoring places, 50 places on land for winter depo, mechanic, Kran, Parkplatz), regular ferry line from Misnjak (Rab) to Jablanac (mainland) and from Lopar (Rab) to Baska (island Krk), Hydrofoil ( only Passangers) Boatline and Busline Rijeka- Rab.
|ENG- Home||Travel Guide||Lodging||Boat||Tourist informations||Photo albums||About us|
|Š 1992. - 2013.Kristofor D.o.o. All Rights Reserved. ---- Enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org , Suggestions or comments: Webmaster|